What is artificial intelligence? From personal assistants through to automation and increasing understanding of illness, the benefits of artificial intelligence are infinite! But, what is the artificial intelligence definition?
Wouldn’t it be great if someone made a simple and easy to understand guide to artificial intelligence that could help you to the basics of artificial intelligence? I thought so too; so here is the Artificially Intelligent guide to everything you need to know about artificial intelligence.
Let’s start with the artificial intelligence definition.
DEFINITION OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE.
You’ve probably heard about it on the news or heard it from colleagues and friends, but now you want to know more.
The dictionary artificial intelligence definition says:
Artificial Intelligence is the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks usually requiring human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages.
These things don’t sound all that scary now do they? Great to have a definition but what does that mean in practical terms.
BENEFITS OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE?
Since the definition of artificial has been established, this would make it easier to understand the benefits of artificial intelligence. Basically, the benefits of artificial intelligence for you is having a machine with the skills that mimic human intelligence to complete a task.
One thing I want to make clear is that a machine having the intelligence to process human speech and converse is not the same as thinking like a human. The robots may be coming, but they are a long way off.
TYPES OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE?
You can think of different parts of artificial intelligence as it relates to human intelligence.
- The intelligence to see: Also known as computer vision. This type of artificial intelligence to be able to see what is going on or process images.
- The intelligence to hear and speak: The machine needs to be able to listen to what you’re saying, process it and then, depending on the application, respond. This ability is called natural language processing. Virtual assistants like Alexa use it.
- The intelligence to do (and translate): This one is probably the most obvious of the three, where the machine can learn to perform tasks, including being able to translate between languages.
Now we have the three monkeys of artificial intelligence! A machine that sees speaks and hears. It also does, but that doesn’t fit with my metaphor…
EXAMPLES SHOWING THE BENEFIT OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE?
So, now you want to know some examples of AI in action! These examples really show some of the benefits of artificial intelligence.
Let’s get straight to it, here you go:
- Virtual assistants: This is one of the best-known examples of artificial intelligence that we have in our homes. Virtual assistants, like Amazon’s Alexa or Google Duplex both use, AI to interact with us.
- Augmented Reality: Does anyone else remember the summer that Pokemon Go catapulted itself into their world? This game used augmented reality to show your favourite Pokemon in your town. This AR requires artificial intelligence – the machine needs to see!
- Game players: This is an example of using AI to learn a task. Google created the AlphaGo AI that has taught itself to play the game Go. Check out the video below for a demo.
HOW TO GET STARTED WITH ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE PROGRAMS ?
So far, we know artificial intelligence. Now I want to tell you how to write AI so you can take advantage of the benefits of artificial intelligence.
What you want to think about is what kind of artificial intelligence do you want to create?
STEPS TO GET STARTED WITH AI
It’s time to get started learning to program AI. However you need to know the steps, so here they are.
- Learn to program: This is really the first step and the major way to get accustomed to AI
- Play around with Bots: Create a bot using the Python you have learned. Bots aren’t covered directly in this guide, but you can read more about them in this article. In particular, it talks about creating a Bot using Python.
- A course on Machine Learning: This is the final step, doing a course or program on machine learning
Also Read : The Technology behind Game of Thrones http://technically.ng/the-technology-behind-game-of-thrones/